Jicama (Hi-ku-mah)– root vegetable that is juicy and crispy, with a somewhat sweet and nutty taste. Tastes like a cross in between a potato and a pear … And it’s an excellent source of fiber and vitamin C!
Why I enjoy it: Jicama is extremely flexible and discovered at many grocery stores. Can be eaten raw as a treat, in salads, or prepared in stir fry. This jicama slaw has the fresh taste of summer with cilantro and a crisp mix of veggies.
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 2 medium jicama (about the size of a potato), peeled and julienned
- 1 cup red cabbage, julienned
- 2-3 small radishes, peel ON and julienned
- 1 large carrot, ribbon cut with a veggie peeler
- 1/3 cup cilantro (more if you like it), sliced
- 2 Tablespoons each avocado oil, rice vinegar, red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Integrate all vegetables in a bowl.
- Mix in oil, vinegars, and salt.
- Set in fridge for thirty minutes to combine tastes.
- Work as a side dish or top on your preferred grilled protein.